National Competition Yields Health Literacy Best Practices
2012 Health Literacy Innovators
(October 2012) - Health Literacy Innovations, creators of the Health Literacy Advisor™ and Spanish HLA, Asesor de Comunicación en Salud™, the nation’s first interactive health literacy software tools, announces the winners of the 2012 Leonard G. Doak Health Literacy Innovator Award contest.
Champion Award: Demonstrated commitment to excellence in health literacy within an organization.
1st Place: Canyon Ranch Institute, Tucson, Ariz.
2nd Place: North Shore-LIJ Health System, Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Health Literacy, Lake Success, N.Y.
ReadsEasy™ Publication Award: Demonstrated commitment to excellence in health literacy in printed information for consumers, such as brochures, pamphlets, and information sheets.
1st Place: Health Literacy Wisconsin, a division of Wisconsin Literacy, Inc., Madison, Wisc. Let's Talk About The Flu
2nd Place: Toronto Rehab, Patient and Family Education, Toronto, Ont. A series of brochures on rehabilitation and disability
3rd Place: Health Alliance Plan (HAP), Detroit, Mich. Understanding Blood Pressure
Clear Focus Multimedia Award: Demonstrated commitment to excellence in health literacy in a website or other form of communication, based on usability, design, and reaching a targeted audience.
1st Place: Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (ODPHP), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, Md. Quick Guide to Healthy Living (English and Spanish), www.healthfinder.gov/prevention & www.healthfinder.gov/espanol/prevention
2nd Place: Health Net, Inc., Woodland Hills, Calif. T2X: Health Literacy Social Media Website for Teens, www.t2x.me
3rd Place: Health Literacy Missouri, St. Louis, Mo., Health Literacy Missouri website, www.healthliteracymissouri.org
The 2012 Leonard G. Doak Health Literacy Innovator Award Judges were:
- Nadia Ali, MD, M.B;B.S, MPH, Clinical Assistant Professor, School of Medicine of Temple University and Associate Program Director, Dept of Internal Medicine Crozer Chester Medical Center
- Carolyn Cocotas, Senior Vice President, Quality and Corporate Compliance, F.E.G.S., Health and Human Services System, former two-term member of the IOM Health Literacy Task Force
- Arthur J. Culbert, PhD, Founder and Former President Health Literacy Missouri
- Ariella Herman, PhD, Research Director, UCLA / J&J Health Care Institute, 2010 Health Literacy Innovator Award, Champion Award
- Julie McKinney, LINCS Health Literacy List Moderator, World Education, Inc.
- Linda Johnston Lloyd, MEd, Health Literacy Consultant and Retired Senior Advisor for Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), chair of the HRSA Health Literacy Work Group and member of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Health Literacy Work Group
- Marycelis Keiser, MPH, CHES, Healthcare Strategy & Communications Consultant
- Silje Lier, MPH, Multimedia Advisor, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Ruth M. Parker, MD, Professor of Medicine, Pediatrics and Public Health, Emory University School of Medicine
- Joanne G. Schwartzberg, MD, Director, Aging and Community Health, American Medical Association
- Greg Smith, Executive Director, Florida Literacy Coalition, 2010 Health Literacy Innovator Award, ReadsEasy™ Publication Award
Download the complete 2012 Winner Announcement:
HLI_Press_Release_2012-11-01.pdf (12 KB)
- Champion Award : WellPoint, Inc., Plain Language Initiative
- ReadsEasy™ Publication Award : Accordant Health Services, Web Library Articles
- Clear Focus Multimedia Award : Health Care Service Corporation, eCards for Health
Download the complete 2011 Winner Announcement:
HLI_Press_Release_2011-10-20.pdf (49 KB)
- Champion Award : Dr. Ariella Herman, Ph.D., UCLA / J & J Health Care Institute
- ReadsEasy ™ Publication Award : Florida Literacy Coalition - Women's Health: A Special Addition to Staying Healthy
- Clear Focus Multi-Media Award : Neighborhood Health Plan, Boston, Mass. Neighborhood Health Plan Usability Website
Download the complete 2010 Winner Announcement:
HLI_Press_Release_2010-10-28.pdf (11 KB)