National Competition Yields Health Literacy Best Practices
2013 Health Literacy Innovators
(December 2013) - Health Literacy Innovations, creators of the Health Literacy Advisor™ and Spanish HLA, Asesor de Comunicación en Salud™, the nation’s first interactive health literacy software tools, announces the winners of the 2013 Leonard G. Doak Health Literacy Innovator Award contest.
ReadsEasy™ Publication Award: Demonstrated commitment to excellence in health literacy in printed information for consumers, such as brochures, pamphlets, and information sheets.
1st Place: "Healthy Solutions for Life" flyer series, Nurtur Health, Farmington, CT
2nd Place: "Choose More Than 50 Ways to Prevent Type 2 Diabetes", National Diabetes Education Program (NDEP), Bethesda, MD
Clear Focus Multimedia Award: Demonstrated commitment to excellence in health literacy in a website or other form of communication, based on usability, design, and reaching a targeted audience.
1st Place: Emmi Solutions Library, Emmi Solutions, Chicago, IL
2nd Place: Colposcopy Primer, Sara Carpenter, Qurve Learning LLC, Queensbury, NY
The 2013 Leonard G. Doak Health Literacy Innovator Award Judges were:
- Nadia Ali, MD, M.B;B.S, MPH, Clinical Assistant Professor, School of Medicine of Temple University and Associate Program Director, Dept of Internal Medicine Crozer Chester Medical Center
- Carolyn Cocotas, Senior Vice President, Quality and Corporate Compliance, F.E.G.S., Health and Human Services System, former two-term member of the IOM Health Literacy Task Force
- Arthur J. Culbert, PhD, Founder and Former President Health Literacy Missouri
- Julie McKinney, LINCS Health Literacy List Moderator, World Education, Inc.
- Linda Johnston Lloyd, MEd, Health Literacy Consultant and Retired Senior Advisor for Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), chair of the HRSA Health Literacy Work Group and member of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Health Literacy Work Group
- Ellen Langhans, MA, Health Communication and eHealth Division, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, US Department of Health and Human Services
- Silje Lier, MPH, Multimedia Advisor, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, US Department of Health and Human Services
- Ruth M. Parker, MD, Professor of Medicine, Pediatrics and Public Health, Emory University School of Medicine
- Joanne G. Schwartzberg, MD, Director, Aging and Community Health, American Medical Association
- Greg Smith, Executive Director, Florida Literacy Coalition, 2010 Health Literacy Innovator Award, ReadsEasy™ Publication Award
- Andrew Pleasant, PhD, Senior Director for Health Literacy and Research, Canyon Ranch Institute
- Champion Award : Canyon Ranch Institute, Tucson, Ariz.
- ReadsEasy™ Publication Award : Health Literacy Wisconsin, a division of Wisconsin Literacy, Inc., Madison, Wisc. Let's Talk About The Flu
- Clear Focus Multimedia Award : Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (ODPHP), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, Md. Quick Guide to Healthy Living (English and Spanish), www.healthfinder.gov/prevention & www.healthfinder.gov/espanol/prevention
Download the complete 2012 Winner Announcement:
HLI_Press_Release_2012-11-01.pdf (12 KB)
- Champion Award : WellPoint, Inc., Plain Language Initiative
- ReadsEasy™ Publication Award : Accordant Health Services, Web Library Articles
- Clear Focus Multimedia Award : Health Care Service Corporation, eCards for Health
Download the complete 2011 Winner Announcement:
HLI_Press_Release_2011-10-20.pdf (49 KB)
- Champion Award : Dr. Ariella Herman, Ph.D., UCLA / J & J Health Care Institute
- ReadsEasy ™ Publication Award : Florida Literacy Coalition - Women's Health: A Special Addition to Staying Healthy
- Clear Focus Multi-Media Award : Neighborhood Health Plan, Boston, Mass. Neighborhood Health Plan Usability Website
Download the complete 2010 Winner Announcement:
HLI_Press_Release_2010-10-28.pdf (11 KB)